Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
Bruce S. Rosenwater & Associates A law firm. For life.
  • Schedule a consultation today
  • ~
  • Hablamos español

Unmarried Parents And Custody Concerns


Florida laws connected to child custody can be complicated, particularly for unmarried parents. Mothers obtain legal parent rates when their children are born, but fathers may need to take a DNA test or fill out official forms to establish paternity. Once all the correct steps have been taken, unmarried parents can go through a child custody process similar to the experience of divorced parents, including the establishment of time-sharing agreements and assessing the possibility of child support payments.

If you are experiencing a child custody dispute and are not married to your child’s other parent, talk to a skilled attorney about next steps. A mediator or legal negotiation may lead to the results you want, whether you are a father seeking visitation time or you are a mother hoping to receive support payments. Bring the details of your story and your hopes for the future to the attention of a West Palm Beach family attorney.

Florida Uses Time-Sharing Agreements

In the state of Florida, the term time sharing is often used in parenting agreements rather than the word custody. So, for example, majority time sharing could be the phrase used to note primary custody while joint custody agreements will likely be referred to as equal time share agreements.

It is important that you and your spouse understand all of the terms being used throughout parental right discussions and negotiate through all parenting plan issues. For example, scheduling where the child will stay on which days is only one part of the process. Who has parental responsibility, essentially the authority to make legal, medical, and educational decisions, needs to be addressed as well. If parents share parental responsibilities, how issues will be handled when they arise should be outlined in an agreement. This can help to sidestep ongoing arguments.

Guardianship When a Child Is Born Out of Wedlock

The mother of a child will automatically receive custody at the time of birth if she is unwed. At that point, the father does not have parental rights, even if he has his name on the birth certificate. To fight for your parental rights as a father if you were not married to the child’s mother, paternity must be established. Discuss what you should do with a West Palm Beach family attorney.

Parental rights cases involving parents who were never married can be complicated, particularly if there are ongoing fights between the parents. Visitation, child support, and other issues need to be carefully assessed. Then, once you understand what could be possible for you, you can move toward securing your objectives.

Are you seeking a legal parental authority but were not married to your child’s other parent when your kid was born? There are paths forward. Share the details of your situation with the legal team at Bruce S. Rosenwater & Associates to learn about what is possible for you given the unique details of your family situation. Family attorneys are here to help, to get your case started, book your free initial consultation today.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

By submitting this form I acknowledge that form submissions via this website do not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

Skip footer and go back to main navigation