Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu

West Palm Beach Contempt Attorney

Family law matters take on an extra degree of frustration and stress when the other party is flouting a court order, such as child support or child custody, or when you feel that you have not been treated fairly by the other party or a judge’s decision, which can lead people into making making risky decisions based on their emotions. Whether you or the other parent is in contempt of a court order, you need to work with an attorney. The West Palm Beach contempt attorneys at Bruce S. Rosenwater & Associates, P.A. can help you navigate this tricky legal situation to protect your rights and best interests.

Examples of Contempt of Family Court

A court order issued by a judge is a legal command. Disobeying the order can result in fines, a loss of rights (such as a loss of child custody or visitation rights), and even jail time in the most serious cases, such as if a party disobeys a restraining order to unlawfully move a child out of state. Examples of contempt include the following:

  • Failure to pay child support on time or in the full amount;
  • Refusal to allow the other parent their court-ordered visitation or parenting time;
  • Failure to bring a child back on time when the visitation or parenting time is over;
  • Failure to pay alimony or spousal support in the full amount, or on time;
  • Taking a child out of the state or country without court approval or approval from the other parent; and
  • Violation of a restraining order (an injunction of protection).

Penalties for Contempt

Penalties for contempt depend on the order that was violated, the number of times it was violated, the seriousness of the situation (for example, was a child’s life put at risk?), and the past history of the party’s contempt actions. Penalties can include:

  • Back pay of child or spousal support, including withholding of wages or liens on property;
  • Loss of visitation rights;
  • Court-ordered supervised visits only;
  • Loss of custodial rights;
  • Fines;
  • Loss of professional license, passport, or driver’s license (for contempt of child support);
  • Incarceration.

Why You Must Work With an Attorney

Nearly half of all child support goes unpaid in the U.S. It is such a common problem that if you are dealing with a delinquent paying parent, the only way to ensure that they do pay is by working with an attorney to enforce the order. Similarly, if the other party is violating the parenting plan, you need an attorney on your side to make any real changes. If, on the other hand, the other party is accusing you of violating a court-order, you need to take it seriously, even if you know that you have done nothing wrong. The legal ramifications that you face can permanently jeopardize your life, your job, and your relationship with your child if you are found in contempt of court.

Call a West Palm Beach Contempt Attorney Today

Court orders must be upheld. Violations face serious ramifications for failure to pay child support or for ignoring the parenting plan. Call the West Palm Beach contempt attorneys at Bruce S. Rosenwater & Associates, P.A. at 561-688-0991 today to schedule a free consultation.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn